Thursday, April 10, 2014

Text Response

This topic is titled "What Obama's Election Really Means to Black America". This article is written by Steven Gray from Chicago. Many people believed that Obama won the election just because he is black and could become the first black president ever. However the writer argues that black americans were actually skeptical to Obama winning the election because of his upbringing in Hawaii and Indonesia and his unusual last name. Given these things, African Americans considered him not really black. 

I believe the argument this writer makes is both true and false, my reasons being are that people who actually care about the election and this government voted for who they truly believed should become  president and not just based on the color of their skin. In the words of Martin Luther King Jr. people should be based, "not on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character."  I also believe that the people who don't really care about the government but shallow reasons voted for obama just because he was black. In the end I think this article is both true and false. I think people who actually cared about the election actually put thought into the vote and people who did just went for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment