Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Private School vs. Public School


Private School vs. Public school.

One of the biggest decisions a parent has to make in their child’s life is if they will send their child to public vs. private school.

I have been in both public and private schools that give me a bit of an inside view.
There are pros and cons of going to both public and private schools.

Pros of public schools

Going to a public school means the parents don’t have to pay tuition every year to put their child through school, it is easier financially on the parents and lets the child be exposed to many different cultures.

Con of public schools

Going to a public school also means that you have schools that are filled above their allowance with kids because the government is forced to shut down other public schools due to the economy. When a school has more kids than they can handle it means teachers cant give a more personal teaching experience to the student. When teachers can’t give a more personal teaching experience, students start to struggle in classes and fall behind.

Pros of private school

Going to a private school means a lower population of students and the parents can control what the curriculum is in the school. A lower population also means that a child can receive better attention from the teacher and get the necessary help he or she needs in order to succeed.

Cons of private school

Cons of going to a private school are paying expensive tuition every year to the school. The school can decide if they want to raise the tuition and how much they want to raise it. Another con is most private schools are religious schools. If you are not religious you may not be comfortable with your child attending that school. Private schools can also make you a little close-minded.

I have been in both schools, Personally I think the private school was better for me but every person is different. I liked the close-knit community and the relationships I had with my teachers. 

1 comment:

  1. You state that private schools can make you a bit close minded. Do you feel like you were encouraged to ask questions? As long as students are encouraged to think outside the box and question, as long as teachers are open to and willing to discuss questions with the class, then the environment is positive to learning. A school environment is important to a child's development, but my greatest concern is that if I encourage my children to ask questions and to explore multiple possibilities, I want to know that the school they are at encourages that kind of thinking as well.

    ReplyDelete